Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Personal essay

Don Sampo
Professor Hepworth
English 150
April 22, 2009
Personal essay

I can remember when I was young. My brother and I used to argue a lot. We would yell and fight to the bitter end sometimes. It usually ended in cuts, bruises, blood, and pain. He had more emotion than all of my family did. There was a constant competition with me. I was the oldest son, so I would get more attention. Tony would play on emotions in order to get his way!
I am the oldest brother of four. Tony is two years younger. I remember the sound of his voice. He was loud, and he had a lot of swearing. We didn’t always get along with each other, but we watched out for one another. I loved my brother, and I wanted him to succeed. He was stubborn like me. It was kind of weird sometimes. My brother would be arguing with me, and he would decide to hit me with an object.
I was bigger and stronger than Tony. He wanted even out the odds. We had some moments when things went along just fine. My Dad told us to go outside and fight. He was amazed that we didn’t kill each other. My Dad knew we had to work our issue out by ourselves. Tony and I got involved with drugs and alcohol when we were kids. I went to jail a few times, and so did he. The story about Sonny’s Blues reminds me of my brother and me. Although we shared a very physical relationship as kids, we are a lot closer now. We grew up in the sixties and seventies. There were changes in society, music, and cultures.

No comments:

Post a Comment